Vistas de página en total

WELCOME MESSAGE

WELCOME TO DIGGING FOR ENGLISH! :) You´re about to start reviewing grammar in a different way... Forget about the looooong explanations and get immersed in real situations, that´s the best way to study English today and that is the aim of this blog! Are you ready to dig for English? :P

miércoles, 13 de abril de 2011

THE PRESENT TENSES



Do you remember the difference between the Present Simple and the Present Continuous? Refresh your memory watching this funny video:




If that was not enough, you’ve got more information here ;)




Do you feel like listening to a song to get started? =P

Listen to the song I’m a number, from Robert Ramirez and put the lyrics in the correct order.





I'm a number

YOU, YOU’RE THE BOSS I COULD BE FIRED
BUT I LEAD ALONE MY LIFE
IT’S MY CRIME…THAT’S MY CRIME
YOU, YOU SHOULD CHANGE YOUR UGLY TIE
YOU COULD FALL AND COULD NOT RISE
YOU’RE ALONE YOU’RE ALONE


NO NO NO I’M NOT A SUPERSTAR
YEAH YEAH YEAH I’M JUST A NUMBER ONE
LOOK AT YOU WITH YOUR STUPID SMILE
NOW WE SHOUT WE’RE ALL A NUMBER ONE


I’M NOT A SINGER NOR A STAR
IT’S MORE SIMPLE MY LOVE
I’M A NUMBER


NO NO NO I’M NOT A SUPERSTAR
YEAH YEAH YEAH I’M JUST A NUMBER ONE
LOOK AT YOU WITH YOUR STUPID SMILE
NOW WE SHOUT WE’RE ALL A NUMBER ONE


I’M NOT A PLANET NOR A CAR
I DON’T PLAY WITH YOUR SOUL
I’M A NUMBER


I’M NOT A CHILD NOR A SINNER
I WON’T BE MEAN AND RUDE
I’M A NUMBER


I DON’T FEEL I DON’T CRY
I DON’T LOOK AFTER YOU
I’M A NUMBER


I’M NOT A STORM NOR A LIGHT
I DON’T HAVE ANY HOME
I’M A NUMBER

 


WATCH THIS CLASSIC AMONG CLASSICS:




Here you have the lyrics of this Hollywood musical song. You can find the number of mistakes in red-coloured brackets. Become a grammar mistakes finder and write in a piece of paper the correct words:

I'm sing in the rain (1)
Just sing in the rain (1)
What a glorious feeling I happy again (1)
I laughing at clouds (1)
So dark up above
The sun in my heart (1) 
And I'm ready for love
Let the stormy clouds chase
Everyone from the place
Come on with the rain
I a smile on my face (1)
I walk down the lane
With a happy refrain
Just singin', singin' in the rain
Danc in the rain (1)
I'm happy again
I'm and in the rain (2)
I'm and in the rain (2)  


You can check if your answers are right looking at this:



Hollywood musicals: A genre for dreamers

In the age of music videos, it’s difficult to appreciate the playful, charming, exuberant world of the Hollywood musical. More than any other genre in film history (save perhaps the western), it recalls a different age and different values, a different set of audience expectations, and a different culture of pop music and film. Between the 1930s and 1950s the music of Hollywood musicals was popular culture; its stars were the idols and dreamboats of audiences; its mannerisms were the art of the people. Today, musicals can look like so much fluff and silliness. If this is so, however, the loss is ours. As out of date as some musicals may seem, there is still something wonderful in the pure joy and spectacle of movies like The Wizard of Oz or Singin’ in the Rain.



Are you curious about what life was for teens in 1950's? Surfing the Internet, we have found this awesome Power Point !







Do you want to play a game and fling the teacher at the same time?

Here you have a very funny game. This will help you to practise the Present Continuous Tense. Have fun!






DESCRIBING YOUR CRUSH...

As you know, for descriptions, we use the Present Simple. Check this: Just the Way You Are by Bruno Mars:   





Here you have the KARAOKE version of this song. Enjoy singing in English!








 WHY DON'T WE MAKE A REVISION OF THE PRESENT PERFECT?
DO YOU FANCY START WITH A GAME?
LET´S PLAY GOLF!



You have to make sentences by choosing one word from each column. Then press Swing. If the answer is correct, you win. The balls at the top indicate if your choice is okay or wrong. A red ball means your choice is wrong. Follow this link:







TIME FOR A SONG:

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

I've paid my dues -
Time after time -
I've done my sentence -
But committed no crime -
And bad mistakes -
I've made a few -
I've had my share of sand kicked in my face -
But I've come through -

We are the champions my friends -
And we'll keep on fighting till the end -
We are the champions -
We are the champions -
No time for losers -
'Cause we are the champions of the world -

I've taken my bows -
And my curtain calls -
You brought me fame and fortuen and everything that goes with it -
I thank you all -

But it's been no bed of roses -
No pleasure cruise -
I consider it a challenge before the whole human race -
And I ain't gonna lose -

We are the champions my friends -
And we'll keep on fighting till the end -
We are the champions -
We are the champions -
No time for losers -
'Cause we are the champions of the world -



In bold letters you can see some examples of Present Perfect in English. Remember how we make it, using have/has + past participle.

Do you remember English irregular verbs? You can complete an online chart with the correct forms of the irregular verbs and check your answers:





In case you need some more revision, you can complete these exercises ^^



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario